Why Ride A Trike?
Why Ride a Recumbent Trike
The many reasons recumbent cycles are preferred over traditional uprights include the following:
- Spreading your body weight over a much larger area than on a conventional bike explains “recumbent comfort”.
- A much more comfortable seat means less back, neck, shoulder, and posterior pain compared to a conventional bike.
- No wrist pain from bearing your weight.
- Smaller frontal area means better aerodynamics which have allowed recumbents to set every bicycle speed record.
- The heads up position lets you enjoy the scenery instead of the grit on the road.
- In the event of an accident, there is a shorter distance to fall and the rider will fall feet first instead of head first.
- The high seat back allows you to leverage more pedal power by pushing with your back against the seat. Human power is maximized under these conditions.
- The feet up position is more physiologically efficient because the body can circulate blood more effectively, providing more oxygen to the muscles.
- They are virtually impossible to flip forward (endo).
WHY RIDE TRIKES?
We prefer trikes because they have all of the recumbent advantages mentioned above plus the following three-wheeled benefits:
- Stability – loose gravel, sand, ice, tire blowouts, etc. will not send a trike crashing to the ground.
- Ride during the winter – hitting a patch of ice is fun on a trike.
- Do you have trouble balancing? No problem with a trike.
- No need to drop a foot off the pedal in tight turns to protect against wipeouts
- Leaning into the turns makes cornering on a trike fun. They handle like a sports car or go-cart – you can even brake-steer on a Trike.
- Pull up to a stop and never put your foot down on the road
- No wasted energy balancing the trike on those slow steep climbs – this is the reason that trikes are better climbers than two-wheeled recumbents.
- More respect from motorists, they slow down and give you a wider berth when passing – primarily out of sheer curiosity.
- Easier to track a straight line on the side of a road – no need for wobble room during a steep climb in traffic.
- No need for a kickstand or leaning post.
- Less road friction/tire scrub from a rider’s side-to-side balance shift (wobble).
- Instant celebrity status – you may be the first person in your neighborhood with a trike – people will know who you are.
- Great platform for attaching fairings and accessories.
The Fringe Benefits
- Cool, Fun and Green!
- Great conversation piece.
- Be a part of “our club”.
- Environmentally green.
- It turns the head of everyone you pass.
- When you pass a “bike guy” on a racing bike, you can see how annoyed he is that he spent more money and is enjoying it less.
- All your friends will want to try it out (and everyone else too).
- Endorsed by the Michigan Association of Chiropractors.
- How many things do you own that are just plain COOL?
Serving Leduc, Greater Edmonton, Northern Alberta and North Westen Canada